I will not discredit my nice teacher for assigning this horrible passage to me. The only thing I liked about this read was the few truths of it. These truths consist of the section dealing with how people sort of view themselves as a piece of the world and their view on their body in relation to their soul. One of the things I wanted to quote I can’t see to find again but it mentioned something about how people that are not in belief of Christianity or any other religion feel that their life is meaningless to the world. I found it interesting that a man talking about religion to of that magnitude would actually know such a thing. In my experience that statement was true but if he was trying to say that was such an awful feeling in life—he was wrong. That is how I feel and I don’t mind if my life is meaningless, it just happens.
Also, the other part I can’t find to quote was the section in which he talked about how people find their bodies to be the “low” for of existence and their souls to the “high” form. This is all but too true but our modern teachings may be to blame. In many movies and everyday life people are encouraged to look for the beauty on the inside of people not the outside. If we were to do otherwise we would be labeled as shallow. Of course, we can simply love people for both beauties but it seems that not all people are justified in that. Maybe the majority of people misinterpreted that part of the Bible.
Unfortunately, that is most of the information that I retained from the passage and I am not even sure if I understood any of these concepts accurately. I felt like I was being preached to the whole time and me being nonreligious it was quite an annoyance. Most of what I read went through one ear and out the other (seems a bit hard since I was reading in my head but still as the saying goes.)I felt there was no need to even try to reread what I didn’t retain.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment