Thursday, October 16, 2008

"It's Time to Ban Handguns"

Lance Morrow has some good points of view in “It’s Time to Ban Handguns” but at the same time he seemed too opinionated to consider some aspects of the argument. I don’t care for guns, not because they are frightening but because they are one of the many items in the world that should not exist. People argue they are necessary for protection. If they have never been created then why would we need them for protection? They may have been suitable for protection in wars but they should have stopped there. Morrow mentions the good guy having a gun for protection against the bad guy with his own thoughts. The thing about that is if the bad guy hadn’t a gun because they didn’t exist would the good guy still want one for protection against an intruder? There are alternatives such as knives, tasers (may be a gun but with less extreme damages), shirikens, and other items of the sort. Another reason I don’t believe people should find them necessary for protection is because of children. You may be able to hide a gun and put the safety on but who says a child won’t be able to find it and figure out how to use it—on himself. There are precautions but the key to that word is “pre” meaning before or prior to, which the cautions don’t create a completely stoppable boundary.

I found his idea that if guns were necessary to have then handguns were not the specific type that should be used. I agreed with this in the sense that handguns are small and can easily be hidden from the public and pulled on someone extremely quick. The other guns mention, rifles and shotguns, would be a bit harder to hide and less dangerous in that way. Of course, banning handguns would never stop their usage, I agree, because other prohibited objects are still in circulation. Also, creating stricter laws on guns wouldn’t do much because there are people who don’t care about their lives and see jail as no threat-- at least that’s the conclusion I have inferred from the crime rates.

No comments: