I am one of the skeptics that Mortimer Adler had mentioned. I have maybe marked a possibly two different books within my entire school career and that is because I had probably ruined a corner and gave up on keeping the condition. I could have possibly done it because I was in an oddly careless mood. Adler categorized book owners into three categories and I would have to say that I fall under his second category of one who owns many books that have merely been looked into and still in great condition. I don’t feel that his comments on that were insulting at all but the honest truth which sort of slapped me in the face. I found this passage to be very helpful in giving me confidence in starting annotation. Adler even pointed out the very same reasons why I never wrote in my books. His arguments as to why they were ridiculous reasons I found to be mind opening.
The greatest assistance this passage has given me is the purpose for writing in books and being careless of the condition. I am a person who reads for the face value of the words basically. Very rarely do I ever try to find some meaning or moral in the book unless I was given a heads up to. Even then I probably wouldn’t find any clue. I honestly believe that if I were to take up this technique I would be able analyze the text more efficiently and I would have more purpose for the book. This may seem like a common sense technique to have used but I was always reluctant to write in something I paid for. I admit that he convinced me to write in a book to help me but with the factor that it was a cheap book.
Thursday, September 4, 2008
How To Mark a Book
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I agree with Sara. The author was persuasive. I, however, am very stubborn and will not let my opinion be swayed. Although the author seemed to get what we were thinking, she did not appeal to me. Why would we want to slow our reading down? Aren’t we busy enough in college? Also, as college students we do not have a very good income and buying textbooks to keep would be pointless. I cannot remember a single time that I have reread one of my textbooks. It is pointless. Why write in the book when you can write on paper or take notes on a computer? I guess I just don’t see the point.
Post a Comment