Thursday, September 18, 2008

"Why We Crave Horror Movies"

I found this passage uninteresting for the simple fact that I am quite aware of what was going to be said. This being that I am a devote fan of horror movies. I even have to drag myself to watch the ones I know will be completely terrible, such as the recent “Mirrors”. I did like this like passage however because it was interesting to see what Stephen King had to say. I was once a fan of his work until a year ago when I decided some of it was just too super natural. I guess this would be because I know I will have the least amount of fear with something I know does not exist and probably never will. That is why horror movies where normal people become sadistic killers are more emotionally provocative.

Some thing that caught my attention was one of the beginning statements in which Stephen King compared watching horror movies to being on a roller coaster. Both are two of my favorite things in life and they are quite similar in a way but I don’t agree that they should be compared. I ride roller coasters for the physically intense feeling deep down in my stomach. Horrors movies on the other hand have probably only provoked that feeling in me once. I find that I watch them because I can let out everything and zone out to it all happening to some one else in a more serious situation. Kind of like feeding the alligator that was mentioned. Also, I watch them because for some reason I developed a keenness for them when I was little. Maybe my parents fed my eyes too much “Tales from the Crypt”. I find that these movies are the release for things people sometimes wish to do but know they will have to pay a hefty consequence. Horror movies are my anti-sociopath drug.

No comments: