Monday, September 8, 2008

"Walking"

“Walking” was a passage I don’t particularly care for. I wasn’t disinterested in the concept of it but more or less of the way it was executed. With that in consideration, I was interested in what he had to say about his view of a front yard. He found it unnecessary, as if it were a lie to the earth and to the owner. I have instances in which I had similar thoughts. For example, Florida’s planting of trees in road meridians and their man-made lakes. I find that not only are they lies of what was once real but also potentially hazardous in some of the areas they are situated.

Furthermore, I also agree with Thoreau’s concept that wildness is the way to go about life. I find that to be a bit of exaggeration but still that wildness should be part of one’s life at least occasionally. I agree with this mostly because we are mammals just as those that live in the wilderness and that as mammals we should have some experience of the out doors. It would allow the possibility to discover something new about anything. You could be in the wilderness and find out you have keenness towards bugs, trees, animals, or anything else. You may find out something more complex, possibly gain new knowledge of the importance of wildness in one’s own view. I believe that whether a person likes their experience or not that they should at least try it once.

On the other hand, I think there is a need to have things as they are now. What people have developed, whether it be original or an imitation of something real in nature, it has a purpose. As we move towards the future there is less of nature and more of simulation but if we were to keep the real wildness survival might become more difficult as it once was for the human race. We couldn’t use our technology to create medicine in the middle of a swamp. There would also be life-threatening difficulties if some one were to be operated on with the various, possibly infectious surroundings.

To sum it up, I believe that Thoreau’s love for the wildness is understandable and so is his dislike for the modern world. As great as the wildness can be though there is a certain point in which one should consider their survival and how it would be possible in such environments.


2 comments:

MommaCabe said...

I agree with almost everything she's saying. The concept of the article was great, but poorly executed. I especially liked how she brought up the planting of trees in meridians and man-made lakes as being "lies", as I have often thought the same thing. I agree that we should have some experience of the outdoors, but that it shouldn't be taken to the extreme, as Thoreau wants it to be.

AllisonKogge said...

I have to agree with Nicole's comment. I also agree on almost everything she said. I think that Thoreau gives a very descriptive essay on how nature is beautiful. His dislike for modern life is unusual because usually people love up to date things such as technology. Although I don't think there was much technology to look forward to in the 1850's.