This story didn’t interest me much. I blame my own personal taste for that because I have never really cared for books that elongate descriptions of surroundings even though it’s necessary. I understand that the writer does that so we can develop a clear picture in the audience’s head but it has the opposite effect on me. In other words, if I am given too many details of what I should be picturing my thoughts scramble to an image of barely nothing.
I also didn’t care for the fact I was confused most of the time. I confused of whether I read this before with the whole my son-is-me-and-I’m-my-father scenario. Half way through the story I decided I had not read this passage before but that the point of how he felt seemed slightly cliché. I was also confused by his wording most of the time. I was unaware of when he was talking about what was currently going on and when he was talking about his past experiences.
The one thing I did like about this passage is something that I envy. I envy the idea of having a place to go to where time seems to not exist and where peace roams freely amongst everyone. That is a place I envy and a place I think everyone should be able to go to every once in a while just to be relieved of everyday life.

1 comment:
I don't think I could have worded it any better. You took the words right out of my mouth. I too had no interest in this passage whatsoever. I'm not interested in fishing and being in the kind of environment White described.
White was very wordy and descriptive and I started to space out every once and a while and lost interest very often. I respect his memories and the great way he helped us actually feel like we were there with him, but this just wasn't for me.
Relating to what you said, I envy the fact that he had that kind of relationship with his father and can remember it so clearly. I was a daddy's girl but I didn't get to spend that kind of time with my dad. I regret it now being 18, in college, and 1400 miles away from home. This has helped me rethink my life and value my relationship to my father more than I previously had. When I go home for Christmas and the summer I will be keeping this passage in mind and hopefully will be able to spend more quality time with my dad before it gets too late.
Post a Comment