Anne Lemott pointed out probably the most important assistant in writing which of course is the first rough draft. It is important because it is the main component of letting all your ideas down before they wander too far within your mind to which they’ll never be revealed again. Even though this was important and she greatly expressed it I did feel insulted that I, now being a college student, had to be reminded of this basic knowledge. To me it is a second nature to write a bunch of scribbled thoughts before an actual essay is formed. I even believe it is programmed into us by schools and state exams. When we are to write an essay in a testing area we are usually given an extra page for thoughts. Though it may be a smaller space than Lemott conveyed it is still space for the first draft. This very second I am typing a first draft that will later be shaped.
Furthermore, an aspect of the passage I did not agree with right off the bat was her readers intended image of a writer. Never have I imagined the life of a writer to be glorious and stress free as if their ideas flowed like a river from their heads to the tips of their fingers. Movies usually never depict that fictional writer either. The writers in movies are always conflicted with writer’s block.
Besides that she did give me more insight to how this technique will help some people more than others. Since it had to be articulated in such a manner I suppose some people don’t take advantage of the process but it may also be unnecessary for them. To each his own. A part of the passage I enjoyed greatly was when she mentioned how it was okay to write whatever words needed to make their way out of one’s head at the moment without the worry of anyone seeing them. As she had expressed her fear of someone seeing her first draft, unknowingly thinking it was finished, is also one of my greatest fears as an aspiring comedian writer. When someone asks to see what I have typed I scramble to cover the screen in the same mentioned fear.
Tuesday, September 2, 2008
"Shitty First Drafts"
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
That was a very amusing block of text, if not a bit maunder at times. And you bring up a few good points listed in the essay. The first of which being that we are to trap our ideas within some medium before the wonder to far, as it can be very difficult, if not impossible to recover them. And although I do not feel insulted by Lamotts remarks i do understand the feeling. It is like you said "it is programed into us by school and state exams".
Personally I found Lamotts revelations into the processes of a writer, to be surprising. But perhaps i am a bit ignorant. Or maybe my brother has something to do with it. Either way i was surprised.
Ultimately I agree and respect the majority of things you said.
Post a Comment